Saturday 11 July 2015

RECIPE - OATMEAL COOKIE SMOOTHIE

It was as good as I hoped it would be. It was as good as they said it was. 


This recipe comes courtesy of 'The Kitchy Kitchen' and her collaboration with Youtube's Ingrid Nilsen - one of the first Youtubers I ever watched a few years back, and someone who I still catch up with on occasion. Not in person, like, obvz. 

BLENDERS AT THE READY - here's what y'all need;





*the original recipe makes 2 servings, so I just halved the recipe


1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons agave nectar ( I used maple syrup )
2 tablespoons flax meal ( I used milled linseed )
1/3 cup oats
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chia seeds (I didn't have any chia - they're on my shopping list!)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 frozen banana, peeled and chopped 
1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk (I don't think we have flavoured nut milks in the UK as of yet, aside from chocolate maybe - unless I've been living under a rock) 
*I also added half a teaspoon of PB because I love the stuff, and thought it would work well - and it did! So I recommend adding some in, or any other nut butter - almond, cashew, hazlenut! Or a cheeky dollop of nutella if you want to be indulgent. 
* You could also add chocolate chips, or even protein powder for extra muscle. Whatever takes your fancy!

SIDE NOTE: I would recommend actually doing what the recipe says and freezing the banana, because I didn't and the smoothie was warm and I was like - MY SMOOTHIE IS HOT WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN. 


LIVE AND LEARN PEOPLES, LIVE AND LEARN. 


THEN BLITZ THAT B**** UP.


LUSH.

It was filling, satisfying with just the right amount of sweet. The cocoa powder offers a balanced bitterness, the powerhouse pairing of almond milk and banana contribute the creamy indulgence, and you know, I could even notice the necessity of the salt in the recipe. Its just a must, okay. 

When I read 'Breakfast Smoothie' and when people say things like;

'This could keep you going all morning!'

I think of my sometimes insatiable appetite and I'm all;

'PFFT. Yeah right guise.'

BUT, after making and devouring this I actually now can believe in those things. 

If your craving chocolate - YES. If your craving a milkshake - YES. If your craving a chocolate milkshake - YES. So before you go reaching for that nutella, and slathering all over your toast like cement on a brick, have a go at this, and let me know how you get on!

...I know I'm looking forward to testing this out again and having it for breakfast, so I can see just how long it will keep the mid-morning snack pangs at bay. I can imagine having it with a little ramekin of strawbs and bloobs on the side... 

I'm so Pinterest.

Happy Blending you beauties! 

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Your pictures are so lovely!! I've followed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much Amy! So sweet of you to say that and to follow!

    Thank you lovely! :)

    Courtney xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good

    xx Izzy | Qthee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...IT REALLY WAS. ;)

    Courtney xox

    ReplyDelete